FREE OSCAR-WINNING FILMS FOR YOUR HOTEL ROOM
Open Culture have some remarkable free films to offer for your trip - all of them Oscar winners.THE BEST GLOBAL PODCASTS - FROM LARRY DAVID TO JARVIS COCKER What to listen to in your hotel room (or in an airport, if you’re delayed) when you want entertainment for your ears – Larry David and Jeff Garlin unite again, on your iPod. Curb Your Enthusiasm fans can enjoy Larry David in conversation with Jeff Garlin and find out why Larry would prefer to do crossword puzzles than voluntarily listen to music and feels nervous at dinner parties. Oh, and how he gives his old shirts away. It’s part of a series called By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin, recorded live at Largo in LA, in which Garlin talks to Hollywood friends and ‘no topics are off limits.’ Listen here. The People’s Songs with Stuart Maconie - The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records Bestselling UK travel writer and long-time music journalist Stuart Maconie hosts a brilliant radio documentary on the fifty songs that have been the soundtrack to British lives, contributed by BBC listeners. Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Two Tribes, Ultravox and Dancing With Tears In My Eyes, and 66 Red Balloons by Nena accompany Maconie’s tale of a Cold War in Britain between two nuclear superpowers. Also in the series – The Beatles, The Falklands War and The Spice Girls and Girl Power. At the BBC now. Jarvis Cocker’s Sunday Service - Amazing Music and Interviews on the BBC Dodgy opinion, crackpot theories, hare-brained schemes and beautiful, beautiful music from Jarvis Cocker. Edna O’Brien, Kathy Burke, Leonard Cohen, Dory Previn, Kraftwerk, Art Garfunkel, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Lux Interior are on the list.
- Der Fuehrer’s Face – Free – Disney’s anti-Nazi propaganda movie featuring Donald Duck. Won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. (1942)
- Every Child – Free – Eugene Fedorenko’s animated short about an unwanted baby cared for by a homeless men. Won 1979 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film.
- Father and Daughter – Free – Michaël Dudok De Wit’s heartbreaking short won the 2000 Academy Award for Animated Short Film. (2000)
- Flamenco at 5:15 – Free – Oscar-winning short film about a flamenco dance class given to senior students. (1983)
- Franz Kafka’s It’s a Wonderful Life - Free – Oscar-winning short film that combines Kafka’s Metamorphosis with Capra’s It’s a Wonderful Life. (1993)
- If You Love This Planet – Free – Oscar-winning short film on the need for nuclear disarmament. (1982)
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore - Free – Oscar-winning film by Moonbot Studios pays homage to a bygone era when elegantly printed books inhabited our world. (2011)
- The Man with the The Golden Arm – Free — Directed by Otto Preminger. Starring Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak. Nominated for three Academy Awards. (1955)
- The Old Man and the Sea – Free – Aleksandr Petrov won the Academy Award for Short Film for this film that follows the plot of Ernest Hemingway’s classic 1952 novella. Made of 29,000 images painted on glass. (1999)
- The Red Balloon - Free - A short fantasy film directed by French filmmaker Albert Lamorisse. Won Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and a Palme d’Or for Best Short Film at the Cannes Film Festival in 1956.
- The Times of Harvey Milk – Free – Rob Epstein’s Oscar winning documentary. (1984)
- War & Peace - Free - Soviet director Sergei Bondarchuk turns Tolstoy’s great novel into what Roger Ebert calls “the definitive epic of all time.” Won Academy Award – Best Foreign Language Film in 1969. (1965-1967)